Thursday, October 9, 2014

What is your dream as a future teacher?

In my first blog post I wrote about my path to snhu and my decision to become an elementary education teacher, but I didn't really talk about what my dream as a future teacher would be. What do I want to do once I get that diploma and go off into the world? Do I want to teach in NH or in a different state? And do I want to just be the typical teacher or do I want to do more and be more?

Since I was young I have always said I want to make a difference in this world and leave my mark in any way that I can, and until this month I was unsure if being a teacher would fulfill that dream of mine. Yes, I would be working with children and helping to change the future, but would I really be changing the lives of my students possibly yes, but I didn't want to just settle for, possibly, so I began to make a plan for my future, scary I know. I have always been interested in going on an alternative break and when I found out snhu offered them I was ecstatic. So I applied to the program unsure if I would be picked to go on the trip, a few weeks later I found out I had been chosen to participate in a two week trip over winter break to the Dominican Republic to teach English to students in elementary school. Now I am less than 3 months away from going on a trip that I am positive will change my life. Knowing I will be a participant on this trip has impacted my life and opened my eyes to so many things I was once blind to. I now know what my dream as a future teacher is, I want to travel around the world and teach children in need in a variety of different cultures and slowly but surely leave my mark on this world. The Dominican Republic will be my first experience teaching in a different culture, but I plan to teach in many more different places around the world throughout my life. I am so excited to finally have figured out something I am passionate about in regards to teaching, now I can't wait to graduate and start on this amazing journey.

3 comments:

  1. Your dreams are very unique and not like any others that I have heard. I think it is an awesome idea to take the path that you plan on going down. You will affect so many different lives by traveling the world and helping different people all the time. This is a great dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your opportunity to teach English in the Dominican Republic is absolutely amazing. I want to be an English teacher and I am so jealous of this opportunity. I think that you are so lucky and I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayna,
    This is a very inspirational post. I think that finding out how to make your mark on the world is on the mind of many students. I feel like what you will be doing is great not only for your own experiences, but also to impact the lives of the people you visit. Many people still do not see that there are many areas of the world where they do not get the same rights and privileges that we do here in the U.S. I think that you can definitely make a difference, and I look forward to possibly reading posts about your experiences in the future.

    ReplyDelete