Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Bullying within the classroom

How are you going to enforce that bullying is unacceptable in the classroom? 

One thing I cannot stand is bullying, it drives me crazy to see how mean some kids can be to each other. In my Classroom i will 100% not tolerate it, if need be I will make lessons that revolve around students' awareness of bullying. I have seen students be bullied within the classroom and some teachers do not even address it. As a teacher one of the most important things you must do is make sure students feel safe in their environment. If a student does not feel safe, they are not going to learn. It is also important as a teacher to make sure students know that they can confide in you and talk to you about personal issues if they want to. When I was in elementary school, I had some teacher that i knew cared about me and my success and i could go to them for anything but then i had teachers who in a sense could care less about their students. I want my students to know right off the bat that I care about each and every one of them. To address bullying within the classroom an idea for a lesson would be as a class to have students make a list of rules in regard to being kind and not bullying the very first week of school. If the students do not abide by that list than I will let them know that there will be consequences. 
I am currently doing observation field experience hours for my EDU 270 class and I am placed in a 6th grade Language Arts classroom. The teacher is currently reading the story Wonder which is a story about a student who has a facial deformity and it addresses issues such as bullying and treating everyone equal no matter what differences there may be. I love seeing how the students react when hearing this story be read to them, many of them are shocked by the way some of the characters treat those who are different. I think teaching a book like this is such an amazing idea because it shows students how wrong bullying is without really drilling it into them by lectures. When I am a teacher i want to do that exact lesson plan. Bullying is a serious matter and should be dealt with very strictly in the classroom. 


4 comments:

  1. Jayna,
    I like how this upsets you. It is a hot topic that I believe kids need to know about. I think reading that story Wonder in your 6th grade classroom opesn room for an awesome discussion and you can show your students all about the wrongess of bullying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very passionate post, I love it. I just recently posted a cyberbullying lesson plan from Creative Commons onto discussion board. Bullying is such a huge issue these days and I totally agree with you that there is zero tolerance for it. It is important to educate students about bullying starting from a young age. I believe you will be able to make a difference in the classroom, hopefully others can effectively do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayna,

    I really enjoyed reading this post about your thoughts on bullying. It shows that bullying is something that is a serious matter and will absolutely not be tolerated in your classroom, which I love! My younger sister is in 5th grade and there has been so much bullying going on throughout her school and it makes me very upset that more teachers aren't trying harder to eliminate bullying in the classroom. You absolutely will be a great teacher and I wish you the best when it comes to keeping bullying out of your classroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how passionate you are about this topic. I really liked your idea for having students make a list of ideas and rules for how to be kind and polite to other students. I think that your ideas will make for a safe and fun learning environment!

    ReplyDelete